Sunday, August 31, 2014

also, correct me if i am wrong...but i think that


Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums. You are currently vitafoam viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today ! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account vitafoam login, please contact contact us .
I got a few spools of copper cable today. I should have a few thousand foot of it. It's control wire from an electrical utility. The info on the wire is as follows: Rome CT-B control cable 4/C 10 AWG CU 600 volts Here is a pic. This will be for indoor use. Although the utilities use it for outdoor use as well. Thanks guys!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk vitafoam while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.   vitafoam
If you have inspections, take a sample to the building inspector and ask if he'll approve it. He might say "Sure, that stuff is fine" or he might say "No, you need xyz." If you don't have inspections, then it should work fine. __________________ My name is Peter, and I'm never going to grow up. 30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift. http://www.peterhipson.com AM General H1 NA Wagon (95) AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99) Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi Saab Turbo Convertible VW Cabriolet  
01-23-2012, 06:44 PM  
Thank vitafoam you. And no I do not have inspectors. What are the average spec for interior vitafoam wiring? Will this wire be tough to use bc of it's size? Thanks alot!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.  
Will it work. Yes. Would it pass inspection. No. I could probably say the same thing about extension cord. They make Romex for a reason.... Thanks for the reply. What's the difference between the stuff I got and the romex? Obviously my stuff has lots of little wires and the romex is a solid strand. Any difference in how it works?? Thanks so much guys Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.
Romex is NM cable, the standard vitafoam cable you see installed in buildings. 14 gauge is white, 12 gauge is yellow, and 10 gauge is orange. vitafoam What you could always do is sell that stuff you have now for the copper... that'll buy you plenty of Romex.  
Other than the difficulty of working with 10/4, there are few down sides to using it. As Matt says, you can sell the stuff you have (were you closer I'd offer to buy some of it...) vitafoam and buy Romex, but if you are not tied to a building inspector's need to follow the book, the wire is fine for any 20 or 30 amp circuit. __________________ My name is Peter, and I'm never going to grow up. 30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary vitafoam 10K lift. http://www.peterhipson.com AM General H1 NA Wagon (95) AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99) Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi Saab Turbo Convertible VW Cabriolet  
also, correct me if i am wrong...but i think that utility company wire is NOT UL rated, which means, if an inspector were to look you would fail the inspection. like another poster, if you are going to run it for your receptacles it would be a GIANT P.I.A.  
Junior Member
Thanks for the info guys. I did some pricing at the scrap yard. I get $1.20/lb for this wire. 100ft of this wire will get me a ton of romex. So I'm gonna save some for rewiring trailers and sell the rest. Just out of curiosity, what makes this unsafe compared to romex? We were talking about it today at work. By no means are we electricians, but the best we can guess is the multiple strands of copper could be over powered and cause a fire or ground out. Thanks so much guys. You rock! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.  
that wire is "romex"....just large romex and a PIA if you intend to use it for duplex receptacles. try 8-3 or 6-3 copper or even 6-3 aluminum in a house. though all that is easy compared to stuff used in commercial applications....something like 650kcmil.....you use "chuggers" to pull that stuff through pipe. the reason that it is unsafe is (again, usually power company's wire isn't UL rated, they are not bound by the NEC) because vitafoam it hasn't been tested by UL. not to say that it is "unsafe"....it just hasn't been DECLARED vitafoam safe by a competent authority.  
I found some more wire today. It's some big stuff. UL rated too. Any use?? Okinite 4 I/O AWG CU OKOGUARD - OKOLON (UL) RHH or RHW-2 or use-2 VW-1 600V sun res for CT use Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.  
also, correct me if i am wrong...but i think that

No comments:

Post a Comment